Contract: Fixed Term to 30th June 2022
Full-time: 40 hours per week
Salary: £25,000 to £29,000 pa pro rata
AES has an exciting opportunity for a driven and capable individual with great managerial qualities and work ethic to take on the role of Islands Green Programme Project Manager to deliver key parts of this UK Government Community Renewal Funded project.
Arran Eco Savvy (AES) is a successful charity in existence since 2013 providing low carbon solutions in the fields of energy, travel and sustainable food. AES has an exceptional track record in carbon reduction initiatives and innovative climate action. It is highly experienced and competent in delivering publicly funded projects including the recently completed Scottish Government funded Climate Challenge Fund project ‘Sustainable Island Life’. This project saved 827 tonnes of Co2e and diverted 27.5 tonnes of surplus food from landfill that was distributed and used by residents. 52 community events and workshops were held, 146 energy audits and EPCs delivered and an estimated 7,740,000 litres of water saved through the distribution of water efficiency device packs.
The Islands Green Programme
North Ayrshire Council (NAC) submitted a successful proposal to the UK Community Renewal Fund (CRF) for a new and innovative Islands Green Programme. The aim is to provide an integrated package of interventions, exclusively for the North Ayrshire Islands of Arran and Cumbrae, to accelerate the path towards net zero by 2030 and boost the economic recovery and renewal of coastal communities. Arran Eco Savvy are the on island delivery partner for this project.
North Ayrshire Council is the Lead Partner for the Islands Green Programme and will have overall responsibility for the programme management, financial compliance and performance, and monitoring arrangements.
AES is responsible to NAC for delivering two main elements of the Green Programme:
- Accelerating the path to net zero islands
- The Island Connectivity project
The parallel development of the two studies will investigate the potential for the creation of a Low Carbon Hub on the islands and establish the requirements.
This is a real opportunity for Arran and Cumbrae to lead the way as the bid was submitted ahead of the Scottish Government’s recent announcement at COP26 of their intention to support 6 Carbon Neutral Islands by 2040.
Accelerating the path to net zero islands
The project will procure and coordinate suitably qualified and experienced technical consultants to undertake detailed carbon audits to achieve a relevant sampling of representative island industries and sectors to inform the Decarbonisation Route Map.
In addition, the project manager with AES will undertake primary and secondary research in the identification of existing quantitative and qualitative data for Energy, Transport, Waste, Food Production, Water, Land, Forestry and Housing.
We will source information from organisations including Zero Waste Scotland, Resource Efficient Scotland, transport and utility companies, public sector organisations, Forestry and Land Scotland, National Trust for Scotland, Arran Economic Group and Visit Arran.
The project manager will work with AES existing contacts with experience in local low carbon transport issues. We will investigate the potential for a collaborative approach for the delivery, management, and maintenance of any future Electric Vehicle network and Mobility-as-a-Service (MaaS) solution identified between public, private and third sector partners by developing options for community ownership and delivery.
As the project manager, you will ensure that the project outcomes and objectives are delivered on time and within budget. The project manager will report to the board of AES. The role requires recruitment and supervision of consultants to deliver on time.
Responsibilities will include:
- Collaborating and building strong relationships with businesses including third sector and like-minded initiatives across the islands to support the delivery of the project
- Exploring opportunities to embed community wealth building principles throughout the project.
- Identifying the key milestones and integrating them into a reporting format to NAC
- Liaising with and reporting progress to NAC and other stakeholders at least weekly.
- Development of a Decarbonising Route Map using analysis of data gathered.
- Budget control and financial reporting required by NAC.
- Design of spreadsheets and tools for data collection, monitoring and reporting.
- Managing sub-contractors to deliver specific parts of the project.
- Setting up relevant objectives with timescales and budgets for the subcontractors and subsequently monitor their performance.
- Collation of data from stakeholders
- Reporting to Eco-Savvy trustees monthly or more frequently if requested.
- Agreeing a reporting format with NAC and issuing a weekly report.
- Excellent organisational and data collection, collation, monitoring, analysis, and reporting skills.
- Forward thinking, innovative approach that enables the net-zero strategy to be ambitious and notable on a national level and beyond.
- Effective & dynamic communication skills to ensure significant stakeholder support and productive partnership working.
- Presentation of complex information to varied audiences.
- The successful candidate should have experience of the challenges of living and working on an island or rural area where the economy is dominated by tourism.
- Sound local knowledge including understanding of relevant sectors and demographics to ensure the carbon baseline is representative of the island(s) as a whole. This should also include knowledge of carbon audit work e.g. the Arran farm carbon audits coordinated by Alex Pirie at SAC Consulting.
- Quantitative and qualitative understanding of the key factors that govern carbon emissions
- Comfortable with managing and motivating third party stakeholders to support the project and supply the required data
- Producing concise informative reports from large amounts of input data in varying formats
- Proficient in MS Word and Excel
- Ability to use social media to the benefit of the project
- The successful candidate will have a degree in a relevant environmental subject and/or relevant experience in a similar role.
To apply please send a CV and covering letter to email@example.com or post to Helen Ross “in confidence” Eco Savvy Community Shop, Shore Road, Whiting Bay, Isle of Arran. KA27 8PR