Role: Sustainable Food Coordinator
Project: The Sustainable Island Life Project
Contract: Fixed Term, Until 31st March 2021
Part-time: 16 hours per week
Salary: £24,000 pro rata
Application Closing Date: 22nd April 2019
Arran Eco Savvy has an exciting opportunity for a dynamic, reliable, competent and confident individual to take on the role as Sustainable Food Coordinator. You will be a part of an exciting multi-faceted energy, travel, and sustainable food project funded through the Scottish Government’s Climate Challenge Fund. You will play an integral part in the delivery of the project and it is essential that you are a self-starter, adaptable and driven to make a difference to Arran’s environmental improvement and protection.
You will be responsible for coordinating all aspects of the The Sustainable Island Life Project’s Sustainable food strand. This will include the recruitment and management of a team of volunteers to deliver a Food Share Scheme with Arran’s main supermarket. You will oversee the implementation of a community fridge/freezer for food collection and communal benefits. You will also organise weekly cooking workshops and sustainable food gatherings at Eco Savvy’s hubs across the island. You will be responsible for stimulating and maintaining food share groups inspired to change impactful food behaviours in person and contribute to building the network wider online.
- Overseeing the systems and processes of the projects sustainable food objectives to ensure effective operations.
- Recruiting volunteers. Promoting responsibility through the delegation of specific roles including pickups of food from different supermarket locations and redistribution from the community fridge.
- Contributing to progress and monitoring & evaluation reports for the carbon cutting/waste reduction activities.
- Working with partnership organisations to run a series of cooking and educational workshops and events, including film/documentary screenings for climate change awareness.
- Ensure the highest level of health and safety standards.
- Working closely with the Project Manager to to coordinate project communications, inputting content for newsletters, social media and other promotional activities to maintain high project visibility.
- Attend carbon literacy training so carbon literacy can be a part of each event and workshop.
- Upon completion of training, you will confidently speak on energy efficient behaviours and promotion of low carbon living and climate change.
- Be an ambassador for the charity and low-carbon lifestyles.
Planning and Organising
- Plan own workload and activities, and delegate effectively to volunteers, to ensure effective service delivery.
- Prioritise and organise ongoing programmes of work efficiently.
- Guide and coordinate volunteers working on project activities.
- Oversee recording of carbon accounts.
- Deal with complexity in project implementation and prioritise well.
- Engage volunteers through training, and guidance by example.
- Develop solutions to ensure all volunteers and workshop participants feel supported to take ownership of the project.
- Use a variety of written, verbal and other approaches to deliver programmes.
- Influence others, to gain acceptance and commitment to carbon reduction.
- Maintain ongoing event programme with timings coordinated with rest of the team.
- Design and deliver activities to maximise service quality, efficiency and continuity.
- Work with the Project Manager on decisions to agree resources/budget needed for each project activity.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience Needed
- Managing teams of volunteers – experienced in how to delegate to and empower them.
- Able to engage effectively with internal and external stakeholders to solve problems.
- Strong communication and teamwork skills for a fast-paced working environment.
- Experience of promoting events promoting change and community engagement.
- Able to work on own initiative and organise own time/workload.
- Full proficiency with Microsoft Office 365 specifically Word and Excel.
- A high level of empathy and respect for people with different backgrounds and ability to use inclusive, non-stigmatising and respectful ways of communication.
- A creative approach to engaging others and solving problems.
- Experience in an environmental/social enterprise/not for profit organisation.
- A good understanding of carbon and waste related environmental challenges.
- Familiarity with Carbon Accounting tools and processes.
Qualifications and Experience
- HNC / HND in a relevant field is desirable
To apply please send a CV and covering letter to email@example.com or post to Eco Savvy Community Shop, Shore Road, Whiting Bay, Isle of Arran. KA27 8PR.